I wanted to share with you our master bedroom update, but in usual Thompson fashion, I don’t have a finished picture. That’s because we move onto the next major construction project before we get to the cleaning-and-fluffing-pillows part. I’d hate to keep posting pictures of our rooms as they are: littered with tools, legos, homeless throw pillows, and derelict socks. That isn’t the thing in blogland. What I really need is a professional (live-in) housekeeper and photographer, and things would look a lot fancier here. We’ll keep praying about that, but in the meantime, I’ll just show you some of the mostly-done pictures.
Typically, our bedroom is the last place to get redesigned, since it’s so convenient to use it for a dumping ground when people come over. But in this case, the haphazard mix of furniture styles (whatever didn’t fit elsewhere in the house) and long expanses of development-house drywall were just bugging me. And, since we don’t value completely finishing a project before starting a new one, why not throw a master-bed facelift into the fray?
We have collected several vintage doors over the past couple of years. The first three were vintage wooden ones with a weathered-wood patina that I loved. We found them at ReStore on the sale day and paid $13 each. We figured we’d eventually find a purpose for them, and one eventually turned into the laundry-room counter. Then we found a white-painted one we loved, and got it too (don’t remember why). Then we bought two glass-paned doors to fit the two pantries in the kitchen, and then decided that the cottage look of them didn’t fit the new kitchen, and made too much of a mix in design styles. We kept the traditional 6-paneled doors instead that were already there.
Then came the idea: use the doors as wood paneling, and make a focal wall in the bedroom. We wanted them to say “vintage wood paneling” instead of “doors leading to nowhere”, so we decided to lay them out horizontally and get a patchwork effect. Once we had decided to use the doors to cover a wall, we found two more, which were different sizes and painted a neutral, barely-green color. So we laid them out on the grass, having measured the size of the wall.
Previously, we’d been using the unpainted door as a headboard, and had been wanting an upholstered headboard instead. This one came from the Pottery Barn outlet in Memphis, and we laid it on here to make sure we liked the layout of doors with the headboard.
When we were happy with the layout, Dave screwed the doors into studs with VERY long screws to prevent any chance of them ever falling down. Thankfully we’re not in earthquake country anymore, but I didn’t want to take any chances. Here’s the near-final product:
The glass door on the lower left is getting painted, a strip of wood door is going just below it, and there is a foot of wall space just out of the picture on the right that will have cut door pieces (once we start on the laundry room and reclaim the (reclaimed) door countertop).
Now, our bed is back in place but the room is far from finished. One thing about making a huge focal point/statement piece is that the rest of the decor needs to be reasonably minimal to avoid visual overload. Otherwise you’ll get dizzy and fall over when you walk in. At the moment this is the problem for us, since our room has collected some really cool pieces that didn’t fit in other parts of the house. We have a long and low midcentury credenza in there (similar to this, but actually vintage), an Art Deco dresser reminiscent of a steamer trunk, a 1950’s French Provincial linens cabinet, and just for pure function, a reproduction Early American dresser that’s holding Dave’s clothes. Also, we have a huge vintage window leaning against a wall near our bed, which now needs to go to a different space to prevent our room from looking like a salvage yard.
Our next step is editing the furniture we have while keeping it functional, moving out the visual clutter, and finding a way to make jewelry accessible. I bought a cabinet from ReStore with an empty panel in the front, so I could put in a linen-covered panel and cup hooks, to store necklaces on the front and back of the door. The inside will be space for dishes of earrings and bracelets. Here’s the “before” of the cabinet:
Taking off the orange price tag is as far as I have gotten.